John Wood, Co-Chair of RDA and Chair of RDA Europe, has been nominated member of the European Open Science Policy Platform (OSPP). This Commission Expert Group has been set-up by the Directorate-General for Research and Innovation to provide advice about the development and implementation of open science policy in Europe.
The group consists of 25 high-level representatives of the broad constituency of European (open) science stakeholders. It has the mandate to:
- advise the Commission on how to further develop and practically implement open science policy, in line with the priority of Commissioner Moedas to radically improve the quality and impact of European science
- function as a dynamic, stakeholder-driven mechanism for bringing up and addressing issues of concern for the European science and research community and its representative organisations, following five broad lines for actions which are presented in the draft European Open Science Agenda
- support policy formulation by helping to identify the issues to be addressed and providing recommendations on the policy actions required
- support policy implementation, contributing to reviewing best practices, drawing policy guidelines and encouraging their active uptake by stakeholders
- provide advice and recommendations on any cross-cutting issue affecting Open Science
As member of the Intermediaries group of OSPP, John will highlight the results of the RDA Working and Interest Groups and act as a liaison while representing the 4000+ RDA members. The Research Data Alliance welcomes John's nomination and is committed to support him in the new mandate!